Monday, June 8, 2020

A Much Simpler Time

My kids might just be the happiest in the world!

They compare metal lunch boxes, gloat over their cute pet rocks, and obsess over their color mood rings all the time. They listen to their cassettes and play Pong in their Atari, without ever getting bored. It’s usually so difficult to get a hold of the "next it thing", but I always do my best.

They cross the days off the calendar, impatient for Saturday morning to arrive. It’s their one chance to watch cartoons, because they’re not available all the time. They discuss their favorite Charlie’s Angel while waiting for Schoolhouse Rock! to start, carefully adjusting the antenna for the best possible reception.

They learn so much from TV, even the commercials are wholesome! Filling their mouths with Pop Rocks, they avoid soda at all costs – say it’s a deadly combination! When they grow up, they want to work for NASA, so they always ask for Tang. I've forgotten so many things; see that’s the drink of astronauts!

Their bowl cuts are not the most flattering, but it’s what they wanted to get. Their basketball shorts are a bit too tight; the tube socks a bit too stretched... but that's the price for looking cool. Our household is quite relaxed, anyway. I don’t enforce that many rules. Just “tell the truth”, “pick after yourselves”, and “no begging to play outside”.

Every day, after I kiss them goodnight, I make sure the door is locked. That’s when I check my phone and read the daily news.

The world of today is such a terrible place. Best keep them in the 70s, a much simpler time.

No comments:

Post a Comment